Today while working on a project I encountered an interesting problem. The project I am working on is basically a web application which behaves as a server for a J2ME mobile applicaton and consists of a bunch of application servlets that handle requests from a mobile application. The database is MySQL 5.1 and I am using plain and simple JDBC, no OR mapping and fancy stuff like Hibernate. My application's context.xml is the place where I store connections looks like this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Context antiJARLocking="true" path="/ABCSchool">
<!-- Development Environment -->
<Resource name="jdbc/myDB" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource"
maxActive="100" maxIdle="30" maxWait="10000"
username="myproject" password="mypassword" driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
The context.xml file is located under Configuration Files in a Netbeans Web Application project. After the project is built and cleaned, the WAR file produced would contain 'context.xml' in META-INF folder in the root directory of your project. When I deployed the application I realized that I have given the wrong database since the mobile application could not connect. I tried the following, all of which DID NOT work:
- Changed the Resource tag in the context.xml file after stopping the Tomcat sever
- Modified context.xml after stopping Tomcat and restarting it
- Removed WAR file and deleted application directory. Deployed a fresh copy of my application with the correct database URL in the context.xml but it still did not work!
- Cleaned the contents of the 'work' directory and repeated step 2 & 3. No luck.
Turned out I was editing the wrong file (thanks to Mark Thomas's reply here). Tomcat copies the context.xml file from the META-INF folder and copies to its 'conf' folder. You can find it under:
My CATALINA_BASE if for instance /var/lib/tomcat6. Every time a project is deployed for the first time, Tomcat copies the context.xml to an XML file named after the application's name eg. ProjectABCSchool's context.xml would be copied to a file called ProjectABCSchool.xml in the 'conf' folder.
Hope this helps anyone stuck with the similar problem!