Generic Parenting Policy
(Group Members: Ibrahim, Shahana, Sharique, Omar, Nida & 1 more sister)
Age 0-2 years:
· Maximum possible availability of primary caregiver in the baby’s life will be ensured
· A child-safe physical environment will be maintained during the first 2 years
· A distraction-free environment will be provided
· The child and his environs would be kept as clean and hygienic as possible
· No processed food would be introduced during the first 2 years of life.
· The baby would be protected for all events avoidable screen time.
Age 2-7 years
· Maximum opportunities will be provided to the child to experience nature
· Ample opportunities of play would be provided to the child
· The child would be engaged in reflective conversation and meaningful storytelling for transfer of values.
· Reading opportunities and books would be made available
· Basic knowledge about Islam would be introduced (Allah, Prophet SAW, Duas, Kalima,etc)
· Screen time would be kept to a minimum
· Intake of processed food would be kept to a minimize pro
· Formal education would be introduced for basic language and mathematics skills
· The child would be engaged in meaningful activities as much as possible
· The child would be consciously involved in meaningful social interactions
· Basic computer skills would be introduced.
· Concept of gender and age-appropriate conduct towards opposite gender would be introduced
· Extensive support for reading would be provided
· Ample opportunities for observing friend’s circles would be created
· Knowledge about acts of worship would be imparted
Age 12- 15
· Parents would consciously move from instruction-mode to suggestion-mode
· Responsibilities as per ability and gender would be assigned
· Child would be made stewards of certain roles within the family
· The child would be provided appropriate means to acquire adequate knowledge about puberty and related matters
· Ample opportunities for family engagement an bonding would be created
· The child would be married off to a suitable match.
Valuable points from the other group:
- Involve child in voluntary wok
- Involve child in some sort of social service.